Jon and Katie's Travels

We have finished our two years of service, but still: the contents of this website are ours personally and do not reflect any position of the US government or the Peace Corps. Now on to adventures in Argentina, so read on!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Post Peace Corps, Traveling, Argentina

Friday, October 20, 2006

Immersion Days Part 2 (Katie)

I went to Aaron’s site in San Pedro Nonualco (link on the side) so I had an easy 2-hour ride with only one bus change. Aaron met Marcus and I on time to take us to our Immersion houses. The house he had set up for Marcus cancelled due to a family illness, therefore Aaron had to scramble at the last minute to find him a house, which ended up being closer to me than the PC likes but we managed not to see each other during our stay.

The family was beautiful I stayed with an older couple, their youngest daughter and one of their granddaughters. He is very active in the community and was very proud of his certificates, which he showed me first thing upon arriving. The granddaughter was shy so I showed her a kid’s book we have in Spanish and she read the whole thing by the time I left. They took me around the neighborhood and introduced me to three other families where I was questioned and compared to other volunteers. My favorite was Aaron has better Spanish than you……. the other was Aaron eats everything and when I brought this to Aaron’s attention he said I do not think I have eaten at their house? Anyway they were extremely nice and I had my own bedroom, a nice latrine, and a private pila for showering.

How I met my lunch….. 930am I walk out to the Kitchen (separate but very close to the house) and start asking my immersion day mom questions about the trees, weather, what the boiling water for oh Lunch ok… that’s a pretty chicken I like the color, where are you taking her? My mom says something in Spanish (Yo no se) and points to the sky….. I am thinking am I thinking what I think I am thinking….. she walks towards the kitchen with the chicken and starts to do something to the chicken. I politely excused myself, and made haste for my room and did not come out until I was sure she was in the pot. She was a tough bird but she made really good soup. Anyway it happened to me again today…. I really need to stop paying attention to the chickens.

Saturday Aaron spoiled us (Marcus & I) by taking us to the Beach for the day it was a very relaxing day. Then we went to a meeting at 630pm with school directors and our jefe (boss) for Ag4/EE. They were discussing the rules of some scholarship money and how best to interview the students following the guidelines. Their Spanish was very clear which made it easier for me to follow. After we got back to Aarons we watched The Sentinal on Aaron’s computer to finish the day. The trip back was uneventful on Sunday and I was happy to be back in my host community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home